Support Me

Support Me

Sunday 8 June 2014

Message from Malawi

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Hello all! 
Yes it has been a while.
Although we were told there is no internet out here in the middle of no where....there is! Don't get too excited, connection is practically non-existent and it takes weeks to upload anything.

Last weekend we reached two milestones. First being I turned 21 (YAY!) and we officially past our halfway point!
Mid placement review, although held a week early to avoid election uproar, we were glad for the break and the opportunity to welcome our sub-team based in Mzuzu, to our home here in Sangilo.

My host home and new family have been absolutely lovely. I have inherited the world's most over-protective father and hard working mother ever, as well as a bunch of awesome kids. 
I am surprised by just how enjoyable going back to basics has been. I have come this far without missing running taps, showers, toilets, electricity, the internet and more...far from what I had originally expected before leaving the UK. 
Sangilo being unimaginably picture perfect has probably had a little to do with that! I couldn't wish to be anywhere else in the world. 

Progress on both nurseries and secondary projects have come on leaps and bounds in the last week. We have introduced new teaching and learning resources into nurseries that previously functioned with barely a blackboard and chalk, and continuing with adult literacy has been lots of fun...village elders make great students.

Teachers, Chiefs and nursery committees, charged with the same enthusiasm and energy as us volunteers, have injected immense efforts into the improvement of both nurseries to show a vast difference in comparison to where they started 5wks ago. We still have some way to go but I have no doubt in the team and communities dedication. 

The team here in Sangilo has become somewhat of a second family. Having built great friendships between both UK and Malawian volunteers, I look forward to keeping in touch in the future.
I must also say a Huge thanks to the team for throwing the best ever 21st birthday-nursery sleepover Sangilo has ever seen! They even made me actual cake, which out here is heaven on a plate considering how hard junk food is to come by. Food is  probably the thing I have missed most and definitely something I am going to enjoying on my return.

Sangilo has since become a home away from home, and although I look forward to returning to my UK home, a small piece of me will for sure remain here.  
There will definitely be a few tears when the time comes to leave for good, but till then I am here to enjoy this beautiful place and all of the wonderful people I meet along the way! 

Hugs and kisses all the way from Sangilo, Malawi

Tan xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment